The Drone Council SA was initiated in 2019, as an industry response to create a platform of affiliation by the various established companies and new entrants into the industry. The all-inclusive launch was planned for May 2020, but postponed due to the lockdown.
It is a membership- based entity, and will endeavor to empower its members. The Council’s main objective is to organize its members and other stakeholders to enhance robust development of the drone economy in South Africa.
- Drone Industry SMME Incubation and Licensing
- Drone Industry Development and
- Drone Industry Data and regulatory environment.
Why we exist
To realise South Africa's strategy within the 4th Industrial Revolution and the objectives of the National Development Plan.
To position South Africa’s drone industry as a leader in Africa, and a formidable global market player.
In partnership with significant industry stakeholders, we will achieve a conducive regulatory and operating environment.
Meet Our Board
Our Purpose & Objectives
The Problem Statement
- South Africa is playing catch up, despite being the first to approve RPAS regulations.
- The main problem is lack of speed and efficiency on the regulator’s side.
- Funding institutions have now lost confidence in the drone industry due to the delays in obtaining the necessary rights and permits.
- The turnaround at the regulatory authority are a major obstacle to industry development.
- Inadequate capacity and public education among public institutions regarding the drone industry.
- Lack of public funding for development of drone industry.